Sleep apnea happens when air is unable to flow into the lungs through the nose or mouth as you try to breathe resulting in a problem with the breathing activity. Most of the time normal breathing resumes with a choking sound or a sudden grunt but you should be aware that the oxygen levels drop every time there is a pause in the breathing.
Certainly, sleep apnea is a disorder that should never be disregarded because if it is left untreated, it can lead to stroke, hypertension, heart failure, irregular heartbeat, and heart attack.
Natural Home Remedies for Sleep Apnea
There are various natural remedies for central sleep apnea and to enlighten you, here are some of the modalities that you can try to relieve you from this disorder.
- Try to lose weight. Sleep apnea and obesity are correlated as extra soft fatty cells can thicken the wall of the windpipe and narrow the interior of the airway opening. Even 10% weight reduction can reduce the incidence of sleep apnea and improve the quality of your sleep and it is considered to be one of the best natural home remedies for sleep apnea.
- Lifestyle modification. What you take in can affect your breathing. Alcohol, nicotine and some drugs can control the brain, which in turn can cause relaxed breathing muscles and blocked airways that may lead to snoring. As one of the natural home remedies for sleep apnea, you can it by staying away from alcohol and nicotine 4 to 6 hours before bedtime.
- Change sleeping positions. Breathing through the mouth may lead to structural disorders in the facial area that may result in sleep apnea. Changing your sleeping position can help treat sleep apnea to make way for regular breathing. Ideally, sleeping on the side is the most preferred position to avoid apnea during sleep.
- Check your medications. Tranquilizers and sleeping pills are medications that can put breathing muscles in the back of your throat in a relaxed state and this may interfere with breathing. Verify with your doctor if any of the medication that you are taking may induce sleep apnea.
- Use saline spray. A saline nasal spray can help keep your nasal passages open but it will also be important to consult with your doctor before using nasal decongestants or antihistamines.
- Snoring mouthpiece. A mouthguard is one of the best home remedies for sleep apnea. It can keep nasal passages open and prevent unnecessary blockage that interferes with breathing. Look for anti snoring reviews so you can find a snoring mouthpiece that will fit your needs.
Sleep apnea is a disorder that can cause serious problems but sleep apnea cures are available to offer relief and correct the abnormalities that occur while you are asleep like anti snoring band.