Complete Review of the Zyppah Snoring Mouthpiece
An Overview of the Zyppah Rx
The Zyppah Rx is an inexpensive but very effective over the counter anti-snoring device, i.e. an oral mouthpiece or dental appliance that prevents snoring. Unlike most other anti-snoring devices, the Zyppah Rx device has a dual mechanism in place to prevent snoring.
First, it works like many other conventional mandibular advancement devices (MADs) in that it keeps the lower jaw pushed forward (just a little) as you sleep. This ensures the air passageway in your throat is kept completely open. This prevents snoring because the air as you breath is not forced to go through a bent or narrowed air passageway that causes snoring.
Second, the Zyppah Rx has a unique elastic band in the back that holds the tongue in such a way as to prevent it from slipping back and blocking your air passageway as you sleep. When the back of the tongue blocks your air passageway, this also causes snoring.
Thus, the Zyppah Rx is a hybrid design! It is both a mandibular advancement device (MAD) and a tongue stabilizing device (TSD) that is combines together into a single mouthpiece. This gives you the best of both worlds without having to use two different products at the same time. The Zyppah Rx has been approved by the FDA and is fully safe to wear all night. It is also made with non-toxic materials so you do not need to worry about toxins leaching out of the plastics into your saliva.
The Zyppah Rx has been approved by the FDA and is fully safe to wear all night. It is also made with non-toxic materials so you do not need to worry about toxins leaching out of the plastics into your saliva.
The Zyppah Rx anti-snoring device was professionally designed by a dentist, Dr. Johnathan Greenburg, who has worked closely with patients who experience severe snoring problems and or sleep apnea for more than thirty years. In addition to his training as a dentist, his undergraduate training included advanced studies in bioengineering. Thus, Dr. Johnathan Greenburg has the perfect blend of training, skills, and experience to design an anti-snoring device that truly works!
My Personal Reason For Trying the Zyppah Rx and Other Anti-Snoring Devices
If you have a major snoring problem, I’m here to tell you that I can totally commiserate! Shared problems often help people bond and I’ve met many other people who have similar problems with snoring. We always feel an instant connection because snoring can really affect your entire life, which is something only people who snore seem to be able to fully appreciate. When I meet fellow snorers, I’m always happy that I can provide them with solutions that I know for sure work because I have personally tested them!
Snoring has been a major issue for me most of my life. My brothers used to tease me fiercely and complain all the time that they couldn’t get to sleep because I snored too loud. Unfortunately, I always fell asleep before them so I’d be sleeping soundly (and snoring!) while they attempted to go to sleep. Invariably, they would end up throwing things at me and this always caused us to get into fights growing up. It also drove our parents nuts having to come in and break up fights in the middle of the night!
Then when I went away to college my roommate would actually get up in the middle of the night and head down to the basement lounge with his pillow to escape what he called “the bellowing of a horny moose.” It was quite embarrassing because everyone in the dorm knew about it and I couldn’t afford a private room or an apartment. It made me such an outcast, I wouldn’t even participate in social activities in the dorm. It really made my life miserable for a while.
The worst of it was after I started dating the lovely woman who is now my wife. She refused at first to sleep over or let me sleep over with her because she said she just couldn’t take “that fog horn noise.” Nothing motivates a man more than rejection from the woman he loves! This is when I got really serious about finding anti-snoring devices that actually worked and were comfortable enough that I could keep in the entire night. I’ve become something of an expert on mandibular advancement devices and tongue stabilizing devices.
Why I Recommend Zyppah Rx Specifically
The Zyppah Rx is basically two anti-snoring devices rolled into one — for one basic low price! The lower portion of the mouth guard keeps your lower jaw pushed forward just enough that it keeps your airway open. Then, for extra protection, the tongue stabilizer keeps the back portion of your tongue from pushing backward into your throat and blocking your airway. Voila! You get not one but two mechanisms for preventing snoring in a single device! The two mechanisms work harmoniously together so that even with people who have tried other devices with no success seem to have good results using the Zyppah Rx.
Some people who see the Zyppah Rx for the first time think the tongue stabilizer might cause the gag reflex. Luckily, however, the device has been carefully designed with this band placed forward enough that it does not cause this type of gag reaction if worn correctly. In fact, the custom fit you get with the thermoplastic material molded to your teeth (see below) prevents any slippage so the mouthguard, including the band, does not slide back and you’ll never gag.
I also like the fact that the Zyppah Rx comes in two different colors now, green (original) or pink (newer). Most of the woman I’ve recommended the Zyppah Rx to seem to appreciate the “feminine” pink color. It also comes with a stylish case so you can easily store the Zyppah Rx so it doesn’t get dirty and is easy to pack on trips.
Looks Can Be Deceiving
When you first see the Zyppah Rx, its appearance may seem a little intimidating, especially the band in the back that stabilizes the tongue. In fact, a friend of mine saw it one day and asked if it was something the “dungeon master” made me wear to punish me when I was “bad.” However, I want to allay your fears and tell you that I found the Zyppah Rx to be quite comfortable to wear after a few nights of wearing it. I promise it will not feel like some form or torture! Even on the first night you wear it, it’s not that uncomfortable, although it does take a bit of getting used to.
How the Zyppah Rx Makes You Feel
When you use the Zyppah Rx, especially after the first few weeks, you will begin to notice that you wake up feeling much fresher and full of energy because you’re getting more oxygen at night. You also get more deep sleep and you don’t wake up as often so you feel much more rested. This is why I came to love the Zyppah Rx. It’s one of the very first items I pack when I’m going on a trip because I do not want to be without the Zyppah Rx ever. This is true even when I’ll be sleeping alone. Even though I can’t hear myself snore, the extra energy I have when using the Zyppah Rx makes me never want to be without it.
Do It Yourself Custom Fitting
One of the best features of the Zyppah Rx is that you can achieve a perfect custom fitting by following a few simple instructions using what’s called a “boil and bite method.” Before you get started, gather together all the supplies you will need so you won’t be frantically searching for something at a critical time.
This is what you need before you fit your snoring device:
- a medium sized pot for boiling water (no lid required) filled three-quarters with water
- a metal utensil such as a slotted spoon, tongs, hand strainer, or spatula with holes
- a clock with a second hand or a timer (most cell phones and laptops have one built in)
- a bowl or big cup filled three-quarters with cold water
- a mirror positioned so you can use it hands-free
This is what you need to do to properly mould and fit your snoring mouthpiece:
- Lie on the bed in your favorite sleeping position(s). Get very relaxed and pretend to take a nap. Take careful note of exactly how your top teeth and your bottom teeth meet in your natural sleeping position(s).
- Thoroughly rinse the Zyppah Rx mouthpiece under warm water to remove any residual particles left during manufacturing.
- Place your freshly cleaned Zyppah Rx mouth guard in your mouth to get a feel for how it fits and feels but do not bite down on it.
- Bring the water in the medium sized pot to a full boil.
- Remove the pot with the boiling water from the heat source.
- Using your clock or timer, wait forty-five to sixty seconds for the water to cool just a little (you want it just below boiling). Do not wait longer than sixty seconds or your custom fit may not work.
- After this short time has passed, immediately place the Zyppah Rx device in the near boiling water.
- Fully submerge the Zyppah Rx mouthpiece under the water using your metal utensil. If you don’t use the metal utensil, the Zyppah Rx will tend to float and parts of it may not get soft enough for you to get a good custom fit. Wait sixty seconds so the thermoplastic portion of the Zyppah Rx becomes soft and malleable.
- Carefully remove the snoring device from the hot water after the sixty seconds has passed and allow the water to drain away. Handle the mouthguard very gently at this stage as it will be soft and you don’t want to bend it out of shape or you may have to repeat the whole process. It is best to hold the device from the harder plastic portions (black part on the original or white part on the new pink design) or by the rubber tongue stabilizing strap.
- Orient the Zyppah Rx into the correct position BEFORE putting it inside your mouth. The lower portion of the mouthguard is labeled “Zyppah.” The upper portion has a “Z” emblem. The lower portion also sits a bit in front of the upper portion. Be sure not to try customizing the Zyppah Rx with it turned upside down!
- While looking in a mirror, begin to put the Zyppah Rx mouth guard in your mouth. Starting with your lower teeth, make sure the edge of the teeth align precisely with the edge between the soft green plastic and the hard black plastic (or the soft pink plastic and the hard white plastic). Next, align the edge of your upper teeth so they meet the juncture between the soft green (or pink) plastic and the harder black (or white) plastic.
- After you have everything aligned precisely, bite down firmly on the rubbery device. Your teeth will sink into the soft malleable green thermoplastic portion of the mouthpiece to give you a perfect custom fit! Be sure not to bite down any harder than you normally do and keep your mouth in a natural feeling position. Hold this bite for sixty seconds to ensure the soft plastic molds to your teeth well.
- Remove the newly molded mouthguard from your mouth and place it in the bowl of cold water, being sure not to bump it or bend it out of shape. As the thermoplastic material cools down, it will retain the custom mold you have created for the lifetime of the anti-snoring device.
- Once the thermoplastic material has cooled completely, you can test it out by placing it back in your mouth. It should now fit perfectly but if something has gone wrong and it doesn’t feel right, you can always try again by reheating the device and following the steps outlined above again.
Easy Cleaning of the Zyppah Rx
The Zyppah Rx anti-snoring mouthguard is a cinch to clean. You can literally just run it under water and then let it air dry. Once or twice a week, you can do a more thorough cleaning by brushing it with your tooth brush. However, do not use tooth paste because it contains a fine grit that could wear down your Zyppah Rx over time. You can also use a normal denture cleaning tablet in water to soak your Zyppah Rx mouth guard to get it really clean and disinfected.
My Bottom Line Conclusion About this Anti-Snoring Product
The Zyppah Rx device worked well for me as it stopped my snoring completely and was comfortable to wear at night. This makes it a good choice for both my wife and I, as well as to others I’ve recommended this product to. The Zyppah Rx also fits perfectly in my mouth after I used the procedure described above to get a precise custom fit. This made it feel like the mouthpiece belonged in my mouth as it fit over my teeth so neatly.