Snoring is more common among older people and this occurs due to a variety of factors. Though ageing can cause to snore, there are also simple snoring devices that can be used to stop snoring especially for older people.
Reasons Why People Snore
Snoring as you age affects 40 percent of men and 30 percent of women and about one-third of people over the age of 55 snores. Snoring is a condition that affects a lot of people and several factors contribute to this.
- Effects of ageing on the body the chance of gaining weight and obesity is a known factor that can cause snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
- Older people engage in lesser activities which also add to the chance of gaining weight and experience snoring.
- Decreased tissue tone and elasticity. Effect of ageing becomes the reason for tissue to loosen and become less stiff. Less elastic throat tissues create more vibration and easily cause the snoring sound.
- Hormonal changes happen among older people especially women. This occurrence reduces quality of sleep and lead to more snoring especially among pregnant and menopausal women.
How Snoring Can Be Stopped
While older people are more prone to snoring and sleep apnea, fortunately there are snoring remedies that can stop the problems that this condition may bring. Some of the most effective snoring remedies include:
- Try various weight loss methods. Reduced weight helps decrease snoring especially on the neck area because neck fat obstructs the airway.
- Try new sleeping positions. To prevent snoring, it is advisable to avoid sleeping on your back because this position makes the tongue drop back closing the airway and causes you to snore. You can sleep on your side or with your head raised on an extra pillow as these positions allow some of the pressure off of the airway so you can breathe easier and stop snoring.
- Do not take alcohol and sedatives before going to bed. They can relax the muscles of the throat and jaw which causes snoring. As a rule, alcohol must be avoided 3 hours before bedtime.
- Smoking should be stopped. Smoking results in chronic inflammation of the respiratory system which make people snore more likely.
- Allergies must be treated. Nasal obstructions can enhance airflow so when treated, it can reduce snoring problem. The most recommended treatment for nasal obstructions are saline sprays, Neti Pot, nasal strips, humidifiers, and antihistamines. If these remedies don’t work to stop nasal obstruction, it is recommended to seek the help of medical professionals.
- Adhere with the prescribed medical advice that will help regulate hormonal abnormalities that occur during pregnancy and menopause.
- Use a anti snoring mouth guard or stop snoring jaw strap. This preventing snoring remedy is highly recommended by professionals as a first approach to prevent snoring, as well as mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea.
Ageing can cause to snore is a common problem among older people but there are various types of treatments that can be used to correct the condition and stay away from the problems that it may bring.