Certainly, not all snoring is the same though it may appear like a normal thing that happens to everyone. There are different reasons why people snore. It is very important to get to the bottom of your snoring problem so you can come up with the most appropriate snoring remedies that will allow you to have a quiet and deep sleep.
What are the causes of snoring?
Snoring has a variety of causes. It occurs when you can’t move air freely through your nose and mouth while sleeping. Snoring is commonly caused by the narrowing of your airway, either from poor sleep posture or abnormalities of the soft tissues in your throat. A narrow airway gets in the way of smooth breathing and produces the snoring sound.
Snoring occurs in a variety of conditions, listed below are some of the common causes of snoring that will allow you to identify the real cause of your snoring problem:
1. Age – People who reach middle age and beyond have narrower throats. The muscle tone in their throat also decreases.
2. Gender – Naturally, men have narrower air passages as compared with women so they are more likely to snore.
3. Hereditary factors – There are innate conditions including a narrow throat, a cleft palate, enlarged adenoids, and other physical attributes that contribute to snoring.
4. Nasal and sinus problems – These health conditions result in blocked airways making inhalation difficult and creating a vacuum in the throat that leads to snoring.
5. Obesity – If you are overweight or out of shape, fatty tissue and poor muscle tone contribute to snoring.
6. Alcohol, smoking, and medications – Alcohol consumption, smoking, and some medications can increase muscle relaxation which lead to snoring.
7. Sleep posture – People who sleep flat on their back causes the flesh of their throat to relax which results in blocked airway.
It is important to evaluate how, when, and why you snore because these factors will help you identify the cause of your snoring problem and if it is still within your control or not. Snoring can lead to serious issues that may go out of hand, but the good news is that even if you have a severe snoring problem, there are snoring remedies that will help make snoring better and allow you to have a restful and comfortable sleep.